Thursday, February 21, 2008

Pictures!

Well, I am finally feeling much better! It seems that about a third of the entire group came down with the same sickness that lasted about three days. Now that I have some energy, it's my luck that nearly the entire rest of the group left today to visit Barranquilla and Cartegena in northern Colombia. From there, they'll return home in about a week. I'm so glad that they get the opportunity to go, but I will miss them. If I haven't already given the proper background, Alison McKellar had organized a trip of 11 people from her hometown in Camden, Maine to come visit Colombia and learn about the various organizations here and what they are doing to make a difference. Ever since my last trip here, I had been planning to come back for 2 or 3 months and so when I found out about Alison's trip, I decided to start my trip at the same time as hers.

Since they left today, I actually had some free time this evening and used it to finally relax some and, more importantly, to call home and talk to my Mom. I hadn't had the opportunity to do so yet and so it was great to update her and get the "I'm so proud of you" encouragement that only Moms seem to give best.

With that said, I need to go to bed now and will have to give a more detailed update over the weekend. My Mom did, however, have one request and it was for more pictures, haha. Particularly, she wanted some that captured the natural beauty here. One of the most amazing aspects of Colombia is its contrast of modern cities and rural countrysides. It really is astonishing how quickly you can go from the hustle and bustle of the contemporary city to some of the most beautiful panoramas you've ever seen. Well, here are a few pictures that capture the wonderful dichotomy that is Colombia.


This is in downtown Bogota in La Plaza de Bolivar.


This was from my last trip. We stopped on the side of the road at a random cafe. I stepped out on the back patio and this was my view.


This is the view atop Monseratte, 3,200 meters above Bogota. Usually people get to the top by a funicular or cable car but this weekend a few friends and I are taking the road less traveled and hiking up.


An example of the views you get when just driving an hour outside of the city.


I just took this picture on Monday. It's the scenic view at Fundacion Formemos, by far one of the most impressive foundations I've visited in Colombia.

Alas, I have to go to bed, but can't wait to talk about this foundation and the many others we've visited. In the meantime, I hope my Mom and everyone else enjoys the pictures :-)

No comments: